Is it worth spending 6yrs in a small company with Bigger Vision?




As my other articles, This article is also based on my Experience! My Birthday introspection!
(Might be Boring but persevere till the end)😴

Is this story worth reading? Why should it be shared? Does it really matter? These questions came to my mind when I thought of writing this in my personal journal. 

Then I realised that this story might inspire someone who's working in a Small Business for someone's dream. 

It all started 6 yrs ago, when I graduated out of college as a typical Engineer without Job. If we're out of college without a Job, we're called as Freshers (No more Engineer) irrespective of any degree you did.

We a group of 5 Freshers🎓🎓🎓🎓🎓 (it's an Engineers group) joined this Small company with a designation Business Development Executives. To be honest, I don't know what does that Job title mean but I got this Job. I got selected for this job because of the only reason He didn't conduct an interview. 

Here the He refers to the person who builds this company. He was different as instead of interviewing us he explained WHY we have to take this Job. He knows that in this group of Freshers whoever takes this Job after knowing the WHY, will be suitable for this company. 

Why he took Freshers? Was that to reduce the manpower cost which most companies won't do during their inception? 

Because this company's objective itself is to Help freshers to get into the Automobile Industry with right Industry skills so that they can build a sustained career path! So He decided to build this company with a bunch of Freshers. 

Now Let me brief the whole timeline of this company's 6 years and My 6 yrs career path in this company! 

Fact: 😄Why am I insisting the 6 yrs is because it's actually 21% of my lifetime!

The opportunity I had in this 6 yrs are,

I as an Automobile Engineering Fresher,
  • Did Business Development 
  • Did Administration Job
  • Did HR Job
  • Did Automobile Training
  • Did Accounts Job
  • Did Marketing which is part of BD
  • Did Event management Job
  • Did Market research for new business opportunities
  • Did Student counselling
  • Managed a branch
  • Had taken Spoken English class
  • Did both B2B & B2C sales
  • Did Customer relations management
  • Did Telesales, Field sales, Digital marketing
  • Did Manpower consulting work
  • Built a vast network of contacts ranging from CEOs to Executives of Automobile Industry, Educational Institutions, Auto ancillary Industry, Small & big vendors in various districts. 
  • Travelled across Tamilnadu in Exploring business opportunities. (To an extent, familiar with 6 district areas) 
  • Increased my mobile contact from around 150 when I stepped out of college to now 1900 (I've stopped saving contacts since mid 2019 except important ones because of truecaller)
  • Learned profit & loss orientation for running a business
  • Was given additional responsibility & accountability.




Apart from this, the thing which keeps me inspiring to do all these is that this Job provides me the opportunity to help & guide Fresh graduates like me to take a right path during their early stages. This company helped around 1000 students to take their first step in career & I am glad that I was also a part of this objective.

Now during this pandemic, I was able to guide a bunch of fresh graduates with my knowledge and experience by preparing themselves to meet the competitive Industry expectations. 

Usually most of the graduates after leaving college without job, Plan to Join a small company and then after getting experience will try to get opportunities in big companies. But some might not get those opportunities & they continue for some more years in the same company.

So what's the difference in my case?


The takeaway from my experience to someone who got an opportunity to work in a small business & might be in dilemma whether to join or wait for some more time,

Grab that opportunity, Be there for a year, understand the company's vision, Self introspect whether that company's vision is Good enough or a Greater one & can you align yourself with that vision?

  If No, Leave that company. 



If Yes, 

Leave that company only after making it as a Great company! Because every company starts small but few become Great only because of Great people! But you've to be prepared because Great companies are built by few surprises and Many Disappointments! 



There's a saying,
If you don't have a dream then you have to work for someone else Dream! 

Accept it, because some of our dream may not be Big enough to impact the world and if you found someone have such a big Dream, working for it will never disappoint our life's purpose & it gives much satisfaction ever!


(If you're curious about knowing the name of that company, have a look into my linkedin profile mentioned below. You can also find the He whose vision is driving us)






8 Comments

Previous Post Next Post